Girls Swim & Dive win GHSA State Meet

Check out the gallery of photos below

Derek Rehberger, Co-Editor-in-Chief

After placing second at state last year, this was definitely the year for the Centennial girls Swim and Dive team. Their first place win marks our third state championship in any sport since the school opened in 1997.

The 2019 GHSA Swimming & Diving State Championships were held Feb. 7-9 at the Georgia Tech McAuley Aquatic Center, and the girls team placed first for Region 6A. The girls team sent back all three of their relays to finals, with two of them winning state titles. Here are some notable swims:

State Titles:

Elly Deas (100 Back)

Katharine Ward (200 IM)

Madeline Singletary (500 Free)

200 Medley Relay (Elly Deas, Katherine Ward, Tessa Sergile, Madeline Singletary)

400 Free Relay (Elly Deas, Tessa Sergile, Katherine Ward, Madeline Singletary)

Podium Finishes:

Elly Deas (100 Fly) – 2nd

Katharine Ward (100 Breast) – 3rd

Madeline Singletary (200 Free) – 3rd

Top 10 Finishes:

Tessa Sergile (100 Fly) – 5th

Hannah Collerette (50 Free) – 7th

Venla Harknonen (500 Free) – 5th

Alexis Bender (100 Breast) – 7th

200 Free Relay (Venla Harkonen, Gabby Born, Alexis Bender, Hannah Collerette) – 7th

Out of the three championship titles our school has claimed, this is the second for the girls swim team. The last time the girls won was in 2007 in Region 5A. Our third state title was taken by the Boys Lacrosse Team back in 2013.

While the girls won, this wasn’t a defeat for the boys. The boys team placed 7th, making it the fourth consecutive year that the boys team placed in the top 10. Notable swims and dives were:

Camden Bowers (1-meter Diving) – 4th

Ben Engel (1-meter Diving) – 7th

200 Medley Relay (Austin Yearout, Justin Bender, Sebastien Sergile, Bryan Teffeteller) – 6th

400 Freestyle Relay (Sebastien Sergile, Bryan Teffeteller, Rhese Goodsite, Justin Bender) – 12th

Sebastien Sergile (500 Yard Freestyle) – 3rd

Sergile’s race was also a notable one: Jake Magahey from Mill Creek broke the oldest national high school record (1983) in the 500 free.