Black Student Union is celebrating Black History Month

BSU+President+Arianna+Peters+and+counselor+and+sponsor+Zyer+Beaty+%28credit%3A+Lauren+Ridley%29+
Back to Article
Back to Article

BSU President Arianna Peters and counselor and sponsor Zyer Beaty (credit: Lauren Ridley)

Lauren Ridley, Staff Writer

The Black Student Union, also known as the BSU, is a club that focuses on African American culture and history, and talks about relevant news that affects people of all races. BSU is having many different events during February, because it is Black History Month, an observance in the United States that is celebrated to remember and recognize many of the important African Americans in history.

Activities include ways to involve students. For example, BSU has been reading Black History facts during morning announcements to inform students about notable inventors, creators and innovators. In addition, counselors are organizing a field trip to the National Center for Human and Civil Rights in downtown Atlanta on Feb. 25. See Ms. Beaty in the counseling office for a permission form.

The group also will host a BSU showcase in March, so they are looking for talent to sing, dance or otherwise show your talent. Stay tuned for details. 

Ms. Beaty is the group’s faculty sponsor and said that BSU is designed to be a dynamic, informative group for student so they can be in “a safe space for students of color to discuss issues that happening in our community.” She added it’s also a “space for everyone to collaborate, come together and learn about our history and culture.”

Aryanna Peters is BSU’s new president and said, “I feel like it’s important for minorities students here at Centennial to have a voice.” 

BSU is open to anyone, regardless of ethnicity. It’s a chance to help spread your beliefs that you would want to voice. If you are interested in joining BSU, see Ms.Beauty in the counseling office.

To get updates on meetings and events, join their Remind by  where you’ll receive all text messages that will update you on meetings and events texting @BSUCE to the number 81010 .