The Accolade

New Centennial club works to tackle cultural and social barriers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Co-leaders Divali Legore and Kate Phares promote the first TAP club meeting. (Credit: Divali Legore)

It’s no secret that high school students are becoming increasingly interested in social justice and the impact that they can make on issues that they care about. With momentum building up around events like the midterm elections, the March for Our Lives, and the gubernatorial election, students are recognizing more and more the need to take action. Which is why senior Divali Legore and junior Kate Phares started the Teens Against Prejudice (TAP) club.

To foster growth in social awareness among students, Teens Against Prejudice aims to spark conversation around cultural issues, social issues, and domestic and international affairs.

“We feel like it’s important to give students a safe and open space to express themselves and share their political and social views,” said co-founder Divali Legore. “The club will be an outlet for people from all walks of life, recognizing their differences and working together to accept and expand their cultural knowledge.”

The club’s sponsor, English teacher Xenia Jackson, is enthusiastic about the club’s role at Centennial.

“I think it’s important for Centennial to have a club like TAP because we are such a diverse school that it is important for us to learn more about issues and other groups of people and what they might be facing,” she said.

TAP will have non-mandatory meetings and several social events; the club has already met to write letters to senators and representatives.

“I am excited about the letters that the students sent off to officials in office for the anniversary of the Parkland shooting–I hope they get some responses,” said Jackson.

Prior to each meeting, members will be told what the discussion topic is through Remind 101; discussion topics can range anywhere from matters of global conflict to controversial issues in popular culture. The founders also plan to hold celebrations for international holidays such as International Women’s Day, Zero Discrimination Day, and World Press Freedom Day. Additionally, they also hope to get the club involved in community outreach opportunities as well as field trips.

“A potential community outreach opportunity could be volunteering at local elementary and middle schools to provide awareness about tolerance and individuality, and a field trip could be a visit to the Center for Civil and Human Rights,” said Legore.

If TAP sounds like the club for you, text “@g8he38” to the number “81010” to be notified about meetings and other events.