Nintendo’s 2019 lineup grows

Nintendo announces its biggest upcoming games

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nintendo’s 2019 lineup grows

Logan Busbee, Staff Writer

Every few months Nintendo holds a Nintendo Direct, which is a livestream that details many of the companies upcoming games for the following months. On February 13, Nintendo held its first Direct of the year, and there were plenty of major reveals as well as more information for previously announced games. So, what were the biggest reveals of this Nintendo Direct?

Super Mario Maker 2

When Super Mario Maker first released in 2015, it was the first time players were able to create their own Mario levels and share them to the world. While the game was loved, there were some missing features. However, Super Mario Maker 2 was just announced, and it looks like it will be adding those features and much more. From the short reveal trailer it was already shown that more enemies, both new and old, will be added into the game, as well as more features like pipes, switches, and moving water. There will also be another style to switch levels in to: Super Mario 3D World. It releases in June.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order

Marvel is bigger than they’ve ever been before, and they’re expanding their reach even more with a new entry in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance series. Get ready to make a team of four Marvel characters from the Avengers to the Defenders to the X-Men, and even more. Get ready to take on Thanos and the Black Order when Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order releases this summer.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Get ready for the next entry to the Fire Emblem series with Fire Emblem: Three Houses. You’ll embark on a journey from bandit to teacher, responsible with teaching a class from one of the three kingdoms. You’ll help the class grow into an army, and help them learn to stop thieves and quell rebellions. However, there are darker forces at play, one that will take all the students to stop it. Prepare to embark on your journey when Fire Emblem: Three Houses releases on July 26.

Astral Chain

Astral Chain is the new fast paced action game from Platinum Games, the creators of Bayonetta and NieR: Automata. Dive into the world of the future as a special forces police officer who has to track down the terrorists causing destruction and death in the city. The game uses a unique dual character battle system, with gameplay that mixes battle and exploration. Play Astral Chain when it releases exclusively on the Nintendo Switch August 30.

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening

Get ready to return to Koholint Island in the new remake of the Game Boy classic, The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening. The game has been remade in the same style as the original, with a fresh coat of paint and some extra added details to help truly bring the game back to the modern day. Prepare to relive the adventure, or go on this journey for the first time when The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening launches on the Nintendo Switch this year.