The Accolade

Help! Recycling can’t handle your garbage

Pay attention to what you toss in the bins

Back to Article
Back to Article

The CBI students (l-r) Patrick Chastaine, Alex Leal, Katie Holt and, Joshua Peirson with the help of student aide Logan Speckhart  prepare to collect the week's recycling.

The CBI students (l-r) Patrick Chastaine, Alex Leal, Katie Holt and, Joshua Peirson with the help of student aide Logan Speckhart prepare to collect the week's recycling.

Ryan Mayville, Staff Writer

The CBI kids who collect recyclables want you to clean up your act.

One thing Centennial is known for is our excellent CBI program and one thing our CBI program is known for is collecting the school’s recycling every week. The CBI program walks the halls every week and collects the recycling from every classroom. This not only helps the school stay green, but it also helps the students work on and improve their social skills. Even with their great contribution to Centennial, students are taking the CBI students and their work for granted.

Every week the CBI students collect our recycling but a problem has arisen. Students at Centennial have been throwing waste that is not recyclable into the bins and are leaving it up to out CBI students to clean up their mess. So, from  now on, if unacceptable garbage ends up in the bins, the CBI program director, Ms. Hankins, said the CBI students “will no longer be collecting bins with trash in them.”

Some of the most prevalent items tossed into the bins are are chip bags, candy wrappers and cardboard, bottles with fluid still in them, and old food wrappers.

Some other trash items that are commonly tossed into the green bins are cans with liquid still inside, used tissues and paper towels. Even though cans can be recycled they should be empty and preferably rinsed before they enter the bin.

“When there is trash in the recycling bin it contributes to the ant problem and opens up our students to getting bit by the ants.” says Ms. Hankins. Another thing that she has noticed is that ” a lot of food is wasted every week” and there is also a plethora of “plastic water bottles collected every week.”

Non-recycled water bottles are one of the largest contributors to the worlds waste. Every year 35 billion water bottles are thrown away by Americans and only 12 percent of those bottles are actually recycled. The best way to reduce such a large carbon footprint is to use reusable water bottles such as Nalgenes and Hydroflasks. If you were to use a reusable bottle instead of drink only plastic water bottles, you would save 1,460 water bottles from reaching landfills every year.

About the Writer
Ryan Mayville, Staff Writer

Ryan is a staff writer for The Accolade. He is a senior and this is his first year on The Accolade. He has been on the cross country and track teams for...