The Accolade

Apex Legends Review

Derek Rehberger, Co-Editor-in-Chief

If you’ve heard of Apex Legends, you’re probably thinking, “Oh boy, another Fortnite. Woohoo.” But Apex Legends is far from it.

Released on February 4, developer Respawn Entertainment added their game to the heap of battle royale titles, including Fortnite, Call of Duty: Black Ops III, and PlayersUnknown Battlegrounds. Respawn Entertainment developed the Titanfall series, explaining why Apex Legends is set in the same universe and references the games many times.

(credit: Respawn Entertainment)
Apex Legends’ zipline-shooting character Pathfinder is the favorite of many fans.

The game was published by Electronic Arts (EA), which many video game consumers have lately grown to hate due to their disappointing releases of games such as Star Wars: Battlefront 2. The game was hated for its “pay to win” nature by many gamers. EA appears to be bouncing back with the release of Apex Legends. While there are still purchasable “loot crates”, they are strictly cosmetic, so a player who purchases these items will have no advantage in gameplay over one that doesn’t.

Apex Legends combines many intuitive features to the battle royale genre to make a fresh-feeling game. The first-person combat and movement mechanics of the Titanfall franchise feel very fluid, and the new ping system is extremely useful to players that don’t feel like using a mic to communicate. The three-person squad size takes a bit of getting used to, but the Jumpmaster system motivates players to stick together.

Overall, the matches are fast-paced, intense, and loud. Getting eliminations is very satisfying, and the sounds of the game are very crisp.

8.5/10

EDIT:

After 4 weeks of playing now, I have grown a little bored with the game. At this point, I find I only fully enjoy the game when playing with friends. I would still highly recommend the game, however, and look forward to the features to come.

About the Writer
Derek Rehberger, Co-Editor-in-Chief / News Editor

Derek is the co-editor-in-chief of the Accolade. He's been on staff since sophomore year, where he started out as the head photo editor. He does cross-country,...