The Accolade

The Marvel Netflix shows are no more

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Marvel Netflix shows are no more

Credit: The Guardian

Credit: The Guardian

Credit: The Guardian

Credit: The Guardian

Logan Busbee, Staff Writer

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is one of the most popular and successful film franchises of all time, and back in 2015 Marvel decided to extend the universe out to Netflix with Daredevil. Daredevil was incredibly well-received and resulted in five other series: Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Defenders, and The Punisher.

While these shows ranged in quality, the reception overall was generally positive. The shows were also well received due to the fact that they were for mature audiences and could tackle the mature themes not seen in the PG-13 Marvel movies. All the shows, except for The Defenders, would get a second season, and Daredevil and Jessica Jones would both get third seasons.

However, while the shows were all received, they have all been cancelled. The first was The Defenders, which teamed up the heroes, and despite being enjoyed didn’t get amazing ratings. Both Luke Cage and Iron Fist were cancelled next at the same time. Daredevil was cancelled soon after its third season released, and this prompted the widest outrage, as Daredevil was the first and most beloved Marvel show on Netflix. The Punisher was given the same treatment, and cancelled not long after the release of its second season. It was also announced that Jessica Jones is being cancelled, but it was confirmed the show would have a third season.

The loss of these shows is a loss of part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as the insight of the major events of the movies can’t be reflected from the thoughts of more street level heroes anymore. However, it’s not as these heroes are still alive in universe, and the future doesn’t look too dark for them according to Marvel TV Boss Jeph Loeb.

In a letter shown on Marvel’s website Loeb said, “Our network partner may have decided they no longer want to continue telling the tales of these great characters… but you know Marvel better than that. As Matthew Murdock’s Dad once said, ‘The measure of a man is not how he gets knocked to the mat, it’s how he gets back up.’ To be continued…!”

With Disney launching their new streaming service and putting their mature content on Hulu, there’s a good chance that these heroes will see the light of day again.

About the Writer
Logan Busbee, Staff Writer

Logan Busbee is a staff writer for The Accolade. This is his first year on the staff. He's a huge fan of video games, movies, and comics.