2019 is projected to be a huge year for the film industry. With the vast amount of highly anticipated movies that are coming out this year, you do not want to miss out. This summer alone is filled with original projects as well as projects from successful movie franchises. Varying from genre to genre, there is an abundance of movies to choose from when going to the theater.
The following are the Accolade’s top most anticipated movies of the summer (ranked from least to most anticipated):
9) Brightburn (May 24): What if Superman wasn’t so friendly when he arrived on Earth? A rural couple adopts a young boy who crash lands on their farm from outer space, but they soon learn that he’s not the innocent extraterrestrial son they were hoping for. This superhero horror plans to put a creative twist on the two genres and should excite any fan looking for a new type of horror flick.
8) Rocket Man (May 31): This biography/ fantasy style film depicts a very in-depth look into the life of musical legend, Elton John. Taron Egerton (Kingsman franchise) takes on the challenging role as the famous singer. This movie is expected to reveal an authentic and uncensored side of Elton’s success and career, and it should not disappoint.
7) Godzilla: King of Monsters (May 31): After 6 years, Godzilla returns in the second movie of the monster franchise. This action packed movie consists of a ferocious showdown between numerous god-sized monsters. With the rise of these creatures comes a great deal of risk for the planet as well as mankind. With species this big, you would not want to miss them on the big screen.
6) Lion King (July 19): Lion King is one of the many live action Disney movies that is coming out this year. It is expected to be a close adaptation to the famous 1994 cartoon, however, it will offer a new perspective of Simba’s path to royalty and the wildlife in the African savanna. With a stellar cast led by veteran director, Jon Favreau, this movie is one that you don’t want to miss.
5) John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum (May 17): John Wick faces his biggest threat yet as the world’s greatest assassins hunt him down for a $14 million bounty in this action thriller. Any fan of the first two films will know that the third installment is sure to bring the same stylized action and precise fight choreography that sets this franchise apart from other Hollywood blockbusters.
4) Toy Story 4 (June 21): The toys are back in town! Buzz, Woody, and all your favorite characters are making their return to the big screen after nine years in Pixar’s newest animated adventure. It remains to be seen if this will live up to the high standard of the first three films, but so far, the trailers look to offer a final, tearful goodbye for the gang.
3) Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5): Ever since Spider-Man made his MCU debut in 2016, fans haven’t gotten enough of Tom Holland’s performance as New York’s wall crawler. He returns this summer in the superhero sequel that promises an exciting new European setting for our hero as well as some of the comic’s most notorious villains.
2) Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (July 26): Quentin Tarantino re-teams with Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio for his ninth full length feature. The crime comedy-drama follows an actor and his stunt double in 1969 Los Angeles whose paths cross that of Charles Manson during his infamous murdering spree. Considering this will be Tarantino’s second to last film, the legendary director is sure to bring his best work to the table.
1) Avengers: Endgame (April 26): The culmination of 22 interconnected films and the direct sequel to last year’s most successful blockbuster, Avengers: Endgame promises to be one of Hollywood’s most ambitious movies of all time. There’s a clear reason this sits as our number one most anticipated movie of the summer. Many of the characters we’ve grown to love over the last ten years will be meeting their fates trying to reverse the events of the last movie. So much about the plot of the film is up in the air as the filmmakers have decided to keep the many spoilers a secret from the audience. This is a movie you’ll want to see opening night to kick off your summer movie experience.