The Accolade

Attorney General Barr’s testimony to Congress about the Mueller investigation answers few questions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Attorney General William Barr testifying in front of the White House Appropriations committee

Chip Somodevilla

Chip Somodevilla

Chip Somodevilla

Sam Janis, Co-Editor-in-Chief

UPDATE: Attorney General Barr released the full, redacted report from Special Counsel Robert Mueller. In the report, Mueller gives some key findings:

• Russia’s internet influence to target the US began in 2014
  • The Russian government interfered in the 2016 Presidential election in a sweeping and systematic fashion
  • Mueller stated that the Trump campaign, “expected it would benefit electorally from information stolen and released through Russian efforts,” even though the probe did not establish coordination
  • Mueller did not subpoena President Trump because it would create a substantial delay at a late stage in the investigation

You can read the entire 448-page report here. 

Almost two years ago, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein authorized the Department of Justice Special Counsel’s office, headed by Robert Mueller,  to investigate allegations that there were links between Donald Trumps presidential campaign and the Russian government and any matters that arise directly from the investigation. The investigation finally concluded on March 22 and given to Attorney General William Barr.

Barr wrote a four-page summary to Congress, stating that the Trump campaign did not conspire or coordinate at all with the Russian government in order to influence the 2016 election. The investigation did find that Russia had two main efforts that were used to influence the election: “disinformation and social media influence” and  “computer hacking designed to gather and disseminate information to influence the election.”

Attorney General Barr stated that Mueller gave evidence for and against President Trump on charges of obstruction of justice. Barr quoted the special counsel saying, “while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.”

After the report was released on April 3, The New York Times reported that members of the investigation believed that Barr’s letter to Congress did not adequately portray their findings. A day later, The Washington Post reported that members of Mueller’s team said that the evidence gathered on obstruction of justice was “much more acute than Barr suggested.”

While testifying before the Congress Appropriations Committee, Barr stated that the report would be public within the coming weeks and said he would be “transparent” about what is left out of his summary. Barr also said that the Justice Department Inspector General would finish an examination of the investigation sometime between May and June. Barr has also refused to tell Congress if the White House has been briefed on the full report, more than what was released in the summary.

About the Writer
Sam Janis, Co-Editor-in-Chief / Sports Editor

Sam is  Co-editor-in-chief and the sports editor of the Accolade. He has been on the staff for 2 years. Sam plays Baseball at Centennial. He is also...