The Accolade

“Winter” is finally here.

GoT is two episodes in - are you keeping up?

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Winter” is finally here.

Kaleb Bang, Staff Writer

After 67 episodes and over 65 hours of screen time, the long and wildly anticipated final season of Game of Thrones is finally here.

April 14 marked a momentous point in television history. Over the course of 7 successful seasons, the Game of Thrones franchise has accumulated millions and millions of viewers and die hard fans. The production value, mastery behind the intense battle scenes, as well as the perplexing storyline is what makes up one of the most highly acclaimed television series ever. Since the airing of  the series premier on April 17, 2011, the series finale has been building up for eight years.

The kickoff to season 8 started with a record-breaking 17.4 million viewers. HBO is sparing no expense with their $15 million budget per episode. The whole final season is expected to cost over $90 million with six intensive and captivating episodes that will leave fans with closure and satisfaction.

In case you haven’t had time to watch it YET – MINOR SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST TWO EPISODES:

The premiere opens up with a recap of the events of the past 7 seasons before jumping into the newly animated intro set to the show’s iconic theme. The opening scene introduces Jon Snow returning to Winterfell with Daenerys and her vastly sprawling army. Sansa Stark is not quick to completely accept this supposed new queen, but the threat of the impending army of the dead is the only thing that keeps these power hungry rulers from inciting too much conflict. The rest of the episode includes reunions several years in the making like Jon Snow and his sister Arya, whom he hasn’t seen since season one, Arya and the Hound, Tyrion and his original wife Sansa, and more.

However, the most shocking reunion comes from the end of the episode where Jaime Lannister comes face to face with the same boy he paralyzed by pushing out of a window in the first episode, Bran Stark. The series premiere also sets up plot lines for the rest of the season like the relationship between the Queen Cersei Lannister and Euron Greygoy and the return of Yara Greyjoy to the Iron Islands.

The thing fans have all been waiting for, though, was the reveal the Jon that he is in fact not a bastard child, but a Targaryen and the rightful heir to the Iron Throne. How this will come into play in later episodes and what Daeneyrs’ reaction to it will be remains to be seen.

Episode 2 was yet another great piece of the Winterfell storyline. It focused more on the characters and their interactions such as Jamie’s confrontation with Bran, Jon Snow’s true identity, and Tyrion and Jamie’s true relationship. As tension and conflict is building up, the stage is almost set for the rest of what is yet to come.

Who will end up on the Iron Throne? Stay tuned to HBO on Sunday Nights at 9 p.m. to find out.