Senior Mia Mitchell selected as a Gates Scholar

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mia Mitchell posing near the Golden Gate Bridge. (Credit: Mia Mitchell)

Gracie Rodriguez, Opinions Editor

On Saturday, April 20, senior Mia Mitchell checked her email in an anxious frenzy, anticipating a decision that would largely impact the next chapter of her life. She opened the email she was waiting for and read the words “Congratulations — You have been selected as a Gates Scholar!”

The Gates Scholarship is a highly selective scholarship that covers the full cost of attendance that isn’t already covered by financial aid. According to the website, the scholarship is offered to Pell-eligible, minority high school seniors, and an ideal candidate has an outstanding academic record in high school, demonstrated leadership ability, and exceptional personal success skills. This year, 300 out of 36,500 applicants were selected to receive the scholarship.

It’s not a surprise that Mitchell was selected, considering her excellent academic and extracurricular record. She is the vice president of National Honor Society, president and co-founder of UNICEF club, and secretary of BETA club. She interned at the Chattahoochee Nature Center last semester, and over the summer she attended the Georgia Governor’s Honors Program.

Her scholarship will go toward her cost of attendance for Brown University, where she plans to major in archaeology and the ancient world.

“I want to teach in a college about the origins of racism in classical society,” said Mitchell.

She hopes to become an archaeologist studying urbanism and culture in Rome, Greece, or early Mesopotamia.