Centennial art students “Gogh” to see the Phillips Art Collection

Marjorie Hsu, Staff Writer

Some Centennial art and IB students visited the European Masterworks art of the Phillips art collection at the High Museum last week. It features well renowned works from artists such as Pablo Picasso and Vincent Van Gogh.

The Phillips Collection at the High is a private art collection that was first founded as an art gallery by Duncan Phillips and his mother. It then expanded into a museum with Phillips and his wife Marjorie in 1929. Ever since, many works of the private collection have traveled to various exhibitions such as The High where you can see it until July 14.

The specific section of this collection is called the “European Masterworks” as it has artworks from renowned artists such as Van Gogh and Pablo Picasso. But, for artists more notable in art history they have: Pierre Bonnard, George Braque, Paul Cezanne, John Constable, Gustave Corbet, Edgar Degas, Eugene Delacroix, Franz Marc, Henri Matisse, Joan Miro, Edouard Monet, and some others.

Some criticize older art pieces for being non-professional or being too much like a children’s drawing. However, the standard of art has changed over centuries, and the ability to replicate reality has been made easier with better access to art supplies. Back in the good old 18th century, yellow paint was made from animal urine. One of the best and few blue pigments was made from a gemstone called Lapis Lazuli.

There are various classifications for art, but for this particular exhibit there is: impressionism, cubism, abstract, German expressionism, and realism.

Impressionism—like the name—is artwork made based on a first impression of a scenery or action in daily life.

Cubism is “reducing everything to ‘geometric outlines, to cubes.'”

Abstract art is a more broad classification as various pieces fall under it, but it “seeks to break away from traditional representation of physical objects” and “explore the relationships of forms and colors, whereas more traditional art represents the world in recognizable images.”