Centennial art students “Gogh” to see the Phillips Art Collection

Marjorie Hsu, Staff Writer

• The title of this piece is titled "Still Life with Glass and Fruit," by Pablo Picasso. Can you guess what fruits they are? Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• In correlation to Pablo Picasso's Spanish heritage, this is a painting titled "Bull Fight." Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• As the name suggests, it is titler "The Round Table" by the artist Georges Braque. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• This painting is titled "Reclining figure" as it is a disproportionate representation of Pablo Picasso's mistress-he is also the artist of the piece. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• This work is titler "Woman with a green hat" and was made by artist Pablo Picasso. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• A piece by artist Nicholson Ben which appears to only be titler "Still Life." This is one of the pieces of the series he did for abstractism. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• This painting is by artists Henri Rousseau and his depiction of Notre Dame. The title is the same as of the building. It was made in 1909, and is an interesting work to see after the burning of Notre Dame. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• Interestingly, the canvas for this oil paint is cardboard. It is titled "La Place du Tertre"by artist Maurice Utrillo. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• An impressionist piece that captures the illusive effects of light on the tall mountains in Italy. Titled "Courmayeur et les dents des geants" by Oskar Kokoschka. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• The artist Georges Rouault pictures a portrait of an admired poet called Paul Verlaine. The work it titled "Verlaine." Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• An interesting section of a painting where an old lady appears to be petting a cat. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• This beautiful piece uses complimentary colors of blue and orange to accentuate a lovely atmosphere of a ballerina's hard work. The painter is Edgar Degas, and the work it titled "Dancers at the Barre." Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• Junior students Riley Stercay and Naomi Jones marveling the beauty of a disfigured painting. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• Painting of "Two Girls." Yes it is titled that way and by artist Berthe Morisot. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• Titled "Horses coming out of the sea." By Eugene Delacroix. This was inspired by the artists journey to North Africa. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• Junior Nicole Ganelin gazing at a delicious looking painting. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• A beautiful still-life titled "Ginger pot with pomegranate and pears." Made by Paul Cezanne. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• Titled "A Bowl of Plums" thought they look peachy! Made by Jean-Siméon Chardin. Credit: Marjorie Hsu

• The specific area of the Phillips art collection! Credit: Marjorie Hsu

Some Centennial art and IB students visited the European Masterworks art of the Phillips art collection at the High Museum last week. It features well renowned works from artists such as Pablo Picasso and Vincent Van Gogh.

The Phillips Collection at the High is a private art collection that was first founded as an art gallery by Duncan Phillips and his mother. It then expanded into a museum with Phillips and his wife Marjorie in 1929. Ever since, many works of the private collection have traveled to various exhibitions such as The High where you can see it until July 14.

The specific section of this collection is called the “European Masterworks” as it has artworks from renowned artists such as Van Gogh and Pablo Picasso. But, for artists more notable in art history they have: Pierre Bonnard, George Braque, Paul Cezanne, John Constable, Gustave Corbet, Edgar Degas, Eugene Delacroix, Franz Marc, Henri Matisse, Joan Miro, Edouard Monet, and some others.

Some criticize older art pieces for being non-professional or being too much like a children’s drawing. However, the standard of art has changed over centuries, and the ability to replicate reality has been made easier with better access to art supplies. Back in the good old 18th century, yellow paint was made from animal urine. One of the best and few blue pigments was made from a gemstone called Lapis Lazuli.

There are various classifications for art, but for this particular exhibit there is: impressionism, cubism, abstract, German expressionism, and realism.

Impressionism—like the name—is artwork made based on a first impression of a scenery or action in daily life.

Cubism is “reducing everything to ‘geometric outlines, to cubes.'”

Abstract art is a more broad classification as various pieces fall under it, but it “seeks to break away from traditional representation of physical objects” and “explore the relationships of forms and colors, whereas more traditional art represents the world in recognizable images.”