The Accolade

My advising is enticing to seniors who are rising

Austen Hensel, Life & Style Editor

As a senior this year here at Centennial, I have had my fair share of learning experiences. Whether it’s procrastinating for an essay or staying up late to study for a test I have the next day, I’ve been through it all. So here’s some advice to underclassmen still figuring out this new chapter in their life and to rising seniors ready to begin their final year at Centennial.

If you are taking AP classes, listen up. Throughout my four years at Centennial I have taken a few AP classes including AP Statistics, AP Language, AP World History, and a few others. When taking these classes it is extremely important to know what you are getting yourself into. For instance, AP Lang is writing heavy, however there isn’t a lot of homework outside of class. On the other hand, World History has a lot of outside work a student will have to accomplish in order to be successful in the class.

For sophomores, the only two APs you can take are AP World and AP Biology. Both of these classes have lots of work you must complete outside of class, so taking both in the same year would be extremely difficult especially if you have extracurricular activities you want to participate in as well. For Juniors there are a multitude of AP classes you can take. It is smart to take classes that suit your strengths. Look for classes you will be interested in and ones that you think you can succeed in given the structure of the class.

Lastly, if you are a rising senior, be careful when choosing the AP classes you take. Senioritis is real, and after spring break it’s always hard to still complete the work you need to in order to do well in difficult classes. So again, pick classes like AP Econ that do not have a ton of outside homework, and your senior year should go by with little heartache.

What about people who don’t want to take AP classes? Online classes are the way to go. Fulton Virtual is the best platform a student can choose when taking an online class, because the work schedule is flexible. Just make sure you keep up with the class, and don’t put the entire course off until the end of the semester.

What should you do about the SAT/ACT tests? Start taking them as soon as possible. Make sure to take practice tests online, or sign up for tutoring sessions from people who understand how to do well on the test. These tests suck, but unfortunately the best advice I can give is to take both the SAT and ACT as much as possible. I took the SAT four times, and the ACT twice. When you are struggling to study for these tests, just remember how important they are, and how short this period of time is in the long run.

Aside from school, I would recommend getting involved in sports, clubs, and any other possible activities you might be interested in. For example, the summer going into my senior year I started rock climbing. I was hesitant at first, but thoroughly enjoyed this activity after climbing a few times. It helped me connect with new people, and will also give me something to get involved in next year when I head off to college. No matter what the activity is, if you are interested in it, try it out. You will make new friends, and could develop a new passion for something unexpected.

About the Writer
Austen Hensel, Life and Style Editor

Austen Hensel is a senior at Centennial High School and the Accolade's Life and Style Editor. He plays lacrosse at Centennial and enjoys photography and...