Girls Lacrosse looking to make a deep playoff run

Team plays defending champs Milton on Tuesday

Back to Article
Back to Article

(credit: Joe Cattoni)

(credit: Joe Cattoni)

(credit: Joe Cattoni)

(credit: Joe Cattoni)

Jonathan Cannon, Staff Writer

The Varsity Girls Lacrosse team has had an extremely successful season up to this point and is now in the second round of the GHSA playoffs. The girls won their first-round matchup in an OT thriller 14-13 against a very solid Pope Greyhound team on May 1. Emily McHenry scored the game-winner to seal the Greyhound’s fate in this final minute of sudden death. The Knights play their second-round matchup at Milton on Tuesday.

Up to this point, their team has been very victorious with an impressive record of 11-5 (5-1) during the regular season. They were the number two seed coming out of Area 1 and have made the playoffs for the third year in a row. Last season the girl’s team made it to the second round of playoffs where they lost to Walton, who would go on to make a deep run in the playoffs, eventually losing to the state champions, Milton.

The Knights are led by seniors Libby Wehr, Callie Rigsbee, Christina Fabrizio, and Kamryn McNeil. This year the Knights have three girls continuing their lacrosse careers at the next level. Fabrizio will play for Mars Hill University next season. McNeil will play for Tusculum University next season. Junior Ella Hancock is currently committed to play lacrosse at Young Harris College, as well.

This season the Lady Knights have seen significant success from non-seniors as well. Juniors Ella Hancock and Keely Dewit on the offensive side of the field as well as sophomore Amelia Wright who all have had tremendous seasons.

The Knights have sustained quite a bit of injury off the field and have battled nonetheless to get this far. Good luck to the Lady Knights in their second-round matchup Tuesday, May 7 at Milton, as they take on the defending state champs.