Don’t Delay – SATs, ACTs and FAFSA Deadlines Loom for Seniors

Kiara Bradley, Staff Writer

If you’re a senior and aspiring to continue your education after high school, it is important to take early advantage of FAFSA and SATs/ACTs.

FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, which is a form that is to be completed by seniors if they want to be considered for financial aid in college. This is to be submitted every year that you wish to receive aid. You can submit your FAFSA online at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa, or you can fill out the physical paper form. 

The SAT is a standardized test that most high school students take in their junior or senior year. This test, and the ACT are widely used for college admission, and tests your writing, critical reading, and mathematics skills. Taking this early as a senior if you haven’t yet can be largely beneficial. If you are not happy with your scores on the first go, you will have time to study and take it a second time in an attempt to earn a better score.

For the class of 2020, graduation is approaching quickly, so it is wise to start preparing for college as early as you can so that you will be ready when the semester starts in the fall. 

A student can sign up to take their SAT on the College Board website and the ACT on www.ACT.org. All you need to do to sign up is a current picture of yourself and a method of payment, and to choose a date and location where you will take your exam. 

“Some people sign up for the SAT and swear they will study for 5 hours a day, but you will be more likely to stay consistent if you start at 30 minutes of review and go from there,” suggests Jasmine Aly, a senior who has taken her exam over the summer. 

I have already taken my SAT for the first time during the past summer, and plan to take it again next month to improve my scores. Studying for this test is vital, especially if you have difficulties in math. Make sure you get a good night’s rest the day before, because you will have to report to your assigned school at 8 AM. Many students feel more comfortable taking the ACT, and if you are not sure which test you’d perform best at, the school offers mock exams for as little as $5.