2019 Volleyball Season Recap

From+left+to+right%3A+Amelia+Wright%2C+Ella+Brannan%2C+Caylen+Alexander%2C+Livi+Weidmann%0ABackground%3A+Allie+Mathis%2C+Isabelle+Hall+
Back to Article
Back to Article

2019 Volleyball Season Recap

From left to right: Amelia Wright, Ella Brannan, Caylen Alexander, Livi Weidmann
Background: Allie Mathis, Isabelle Hall

From left to right: Amelia Wright, Ella Brannan, Caylen Alexander, Livi Weidmann Background: Allie Mathis, Isabelle Hall

Maggie Nolen, Staff Writer

The team dyed their hair for playoffs.

As each season passes, Centennial’s volleyball team works harder and harder and attempts to win at playoffs. Although they lost 3 sets to 1 in the second round of playoffs this year, they put in many hours of hard work and training. Being on the team requires a lot of strength and time commitment, as they practice every day and have to attend summer workouts.

This season, they won a total of 23 games and had a good chance at playoffs. Outside hitter, Amelia Wright said, “I would say this is one of our best seasons yet since we are going to the playoffs this year. Our chemistry and friendship on the team is very strong.”

Team captain, Isabelle Hall, agreed with Wright and said, “This has been one of my favorite seasons so far!” Overall, the team is very closely bonded, and this is evident through how they play and interact with each other.

Part of this has to do with friendships on the team. Wright said, “I really enjoy being around the team and spending over two hours with them every day is great. I’m happy to say that I have met some of my best friends through the team.”

An important part of how a team interacts with each other is how their captain leads them. Isabelle Hall, a junior, is captain this year. Hall has been on the team since her freshman year and is an extremely dedicated member of the team. She said, “I like being captain, but it does come with responsibilities. For example, when people are slacking off at practice or not focused, it is my responsibility to get everyone back on track. I feel like all the girls can come to me when they need help or if they need to talk about something.”

Before going into the playoffs, the team reflected on the season and looked for ways to improve. Wright said, “In preparation for playoffs, We have been working hard on our defense and getting up the hard digs from the other team so we can run our offense and get kills from our power hitters.”

Hall also said, “Our team needs to improve by not playing down to other teams levels. We need to improve our consistency and play at the same level no matter what team we play.”

The team won in the first round of playoffs against Northgate last Saturday but despite all of their practice and hard work, they lost in the sweet 16 round of playoffs Oct. 23.