Spotlight on Centennial’s Color Guard and Winter Guard

Haisa Nguyen, Staff Writer

Color Guard at a Thursday Practice. Centennial’s Color Guard has been working incredibly hard throughout the year, and it shows. In the past year, the Winter Guard won first place in novice class, and got moved up to Scholastic Regional A. In their new class, they won second place, and then received first overall in that class out of 23 guards. Their score of 83.11 was also the highest of all 52 guards competing in Scholastic Regional A.

I met up with Jasmyn Haley, the head Guard director, as well as Anna Steltenpohl, the assistant Guard director, to further discuss this season and talk about further goals she may have as football season goes on, and Winter Guard season begins. 

Haley said that this year they have an entirely new design team to create a bigger and more put together production than previous years. Both directors are also putting more emphasis on technique, and making sure everybody has a better awareness of what their dance moves should look like for them individually rather than what is usually portrayed in color guard.

As with any good team, there have been challenges that they faced along the way. For a lot of them, it was getting the new performers to understand everything, and learn it at a rather quick pace. There were also issues with making a commitment to guard because some of the performers aren’t aware of how big of a commit it really is. However, as the season continues, Steltenpohl said that both of these areas have incredibly improved as students put in more work and effort, and gain a greater understanding of being a team. 

Both Guard directors believe that compared to where they’ve started at the beginning of this school year, Color Guard has done an outstanding job. They hope to have the program more spread around especially towards younger students such as middle schoolers, so they can join when they get to Centennial, and just to get the word out about color guard in general. Steltenpohl said that she wishes for students to join sooner, such as when they’re underclassmen rather than joining as upperclassmen. This way, they have more time in color guard, and are able to contribute and learn a substantially greater amount. 

As Winter Guard season begins, Haley hopes to implement new fundamentals and up the overall skill level of the performers to really ensure that they’re living out their full potential. Centennial’s Color Guard and Winter Guard have never really been in the spotlight. Not many people care about them as much as they care about football, cheerleading, and other various sports that are considered more “popular.”  You don’t hear about any of their accomplishments or awards they receive, and there’s never any announcements about upcoming competitions they may have the same way that football games are announced. Haley and Steltenpohl hope that this changes in the future seasons, and really urge everyone to come out and try it! It’s really fun, and you get to be a part of a great show that not many people are able to say that they’ve done. Tryouts for winter guard season are coming soon, and they both hope that there will be a big turnout. For more information, visit the guard’s Instagram @chsknightsguard.