Previewing “Matilda the Musical”

Previewing

Mia Muse, Staff Writer

The Centennial Players’ spring musical this year is “Matilda the Musical.” The show times are Thursday and Friday, February 13 and 14 at 7:00 p.m. and on Saturday, February 15 at 3:00 p.m. Tickets are for sale at Centennial or online here. Pre-order tickets for students $7 and at the door they are $10; for adults the pre-order cost is $15 and at the door they are $20.

Matilda is the story of a little girl with astonishing wit, intelligence and psychokinetic powers, and with the support of her teacher, they try to rid her school of its evil headmistress Miss Trunchbull. 

Drama teacher and director Terrie Howard said, “This show is a children’s show that is a fantasy. It also  follows the book more than the actual movie, so kids who originally read the book will recognize the play better.”

“We are hoping for a really good audience,” Howard said. “We are expecting a lot of younger kids because it would be really fun, and the older kids should come because it will give them a chance to remember this story from their childhood,” she added.

These cast members have been practicing form 4-6 p.m. every week day with an addition of Sunday rehearsals. Howard said that now that the show is two weeks away the practices are going to go later into the evening.

“All the cast members are very excited about the show and that makes it easier to direct them when they want to be there,” said Howard.

The main characters in Matilda are played by sophomore Ariana Neal who is Matilda ; Miss Trunchbull is played by Summer Stockard; and Miss Honey is played by Eliza Hitch. 

The Accolade Asked Summer Stockard about her part and she said, “ [ Miss Trunchbull] she’s very fun to play. It’s a lot of death, screaming and just yelling at kids which is honestly the most fun,” she said, “ so I have to do a very specific voice and it requires a lot of breath like support. It’s also like me talking in a high pitched voice than to a really deep one and there’s also a lot of me running and stomping around the stage and I have to sing the two songs. It’s a lot I’m exhausted by the end of every rehearsal but it’s worth it,” she added.