Valentine’s Days Movies to Touch Your Heart

Haisa Nguyen, Staff Writer

Valentine’s Day decorations. Credit: centralfloridalifestyle.com

Valentine’s Day is approaching, and a great way to spend it with your significant other or with people that you love is having a sweet movie night. Here are elev Valentine’s Day movies to enjoy on this special day. 

• The Notebook (Netflix) 
      1. This is a classic heart-throb starring Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams. It’s your typical love story where girl meets boy, girl falls in love with the boy, they date, and then they separate only to be reunited years later and find that they’re both still very much in love with each other. Nonetheless, it is a great movie that will surely bring you and others to tears. 
  • 10 things I Hate About You (Amazon prime video) 
      1. Taking place in the ’90s, this story features a young girl who is “different” from all the other girls. She’s beautiful but comes off as abrasive and rude to others, and she mostly keeps to herself. Most guys keep away from her until a new boy comes to school and she finds herself falling for him. Another classic, this movie will definitely make your night special. 
  • La La Land (Amazon prime video) 
      1. This movie came out more recently in 2016. Starring Ryan Gosling and Emma stone, the story takes place in Los Angeles and features two young people who are looking to pursue their careers in the land of dreamers. They are drawn together because of their love for what they do, but their relationship is tested when their careers to begin to take off. “La la land” is a musical, so if you’re not a fan of singing then this might not be for you, but regardless it is great to watch with your significant other. 
  • When Harry Met Sally (HBO Showtime) 
      1. Two friends of opposite genders argue about whether or not men and women are actually able to be strictly platonic friends. After they graduate college, they don’t see each other again for 10 years until they finally run into each other at a bookstore. They attempt to stay friends and test their theory once again. A classic tale of “Will they, Won’t they?”, this movie will make you laugh and swoon at the same time. 
  • Love Actually (Hulu) 
      1. This movie is different from the others on this list as it features nine stories that all seem to have one thing in common: love. It looks at all the complications that come with being in a relationship or being in love in general. Another romantic comedy, this will surely end your Valentine’s Day on a sweet note. 
  • Sleepless in Seattle (Amazon prime video) 
      1. After the death of his wife, a man packs up all his stuff and moves to Seattle with his son. One day, his son calls in on a radio station in attempts to find a new woman for his father. The radio show host hears the father speak and falls in love with him, but she is already engaged to another man. “Sleepless in Seattle” is a dramatic romance that is filled with many twists and turns. It will keep you on the edge of your seat, and yet still make your heart throb. 
  • The Vow (Hulu) 
      1. Two newlyweds seem to be living the perfect life. They’re both very much in love with each other, and very much happy to have the other in their lives, but disaster strikes when Paige, the wife, gets into a car accident which leaves her comatose and her husband, Leo, fearful that she will ever wake up again. When she finally does, she has no memory of Leo and the happy life that they once lived.
  • Before We Go (Netflix) 
      1. Two people meet by chance late at night in Grand Central Station in New York. She’s in a rush to get home, and he’s not in a rush to get anywhere. The two go on a nighttime adventure together and fall in love, but she’s married which she reveals early on, but the two can’t resist the pull that draws them together. A tragic story of “Right person, Wrong timing”, this movie tugs at your heartstrings, and leaves you wanting more. 
  • Spectacular Now (Netflix) 
      1. A classic high school first love story, a popular boy that is always down to party, Sutter, meets a shy and introverted girl, Aimee. The two get along surprisingly well despite their drastic differences. Noticing Aimee’s crush on him, he uses it to his advantage but finds himself falling in love with her truly as the days go by. 
  • The Proposal (Amazon prime video) 
      1. Starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, Margaret claims to be engaged to her coworker, Andrew, in order to avoid deportation to her home country, Canada. He agrees to the lie, but only if she flew to Alaska with him to meet his family. The two go through elaborate schemes in order to convince the immigration official that they’re actually together. 
  • P.S. I Love You (Netflix) 
    1. A woman loses her husband when he becomes stricken with illness and the grief from his death takes a toll on her. Knowing he was going to pass away soon, her husband prepared a series of letters for her to read when he was gone to help her cope with the loss and move on with her life.