Black Student Union Seeks Open Communication & Diversity

Mia Muse, Staff Writer

Centennial’s Black Student Union serves as a forum for communication among our diverse students and faculty. BSU’s primary purpose is to promote respect for cultural diversity and peaceful coexistence through the education of black/African American culture and its history.

Once a month BSU meets to discuss current events and cultural concerns within the African American communities.

“Last month we had a guest speaker to discuss financial peace and investments and the months before we discussed the ‘pass’, should other cultures have a pass to use the ‘n’ word when African Americans use it freely,” faculty sponsor Dana Smith said. “We also discussed if other races should be able to join BSU. It was very educational and insightful to hear all the many different views,” she added.

The Black Student Union has field trips to historically black colleges and universities (HBCU). They also traveled to the National Civil Rights Museum in Atlanta.

“I went on the HBCU trip and I felt it was actually really fun,” sophomore Ja’kira Smart said. “I got a lot of new information that I didn’t know before and I also had a lot of fun because I liked spending time with my friends there.”

The BSU has also supported the HBCU fair here at Centennial. They have also set up a Soul Train Night and a Step Show Competition. The Soul Train night was at Centennial from 6-9 p.m. on February 7, and the step team competition dates are to be determined. 

Students can also get student service hours from this club. “We also offer volunteer hours for students to give back to our community,” said Coach Dana.

Most people who participate in the club love how all students and staff are able to come together and discuss real life topics that affect their everyday life without passing judgement. “As a result many students have gained so much respect for African American and its culture, especially within our community,” said Coach Dana.