Centennial Success at UGA Model UN!

The Centennial delegation at UGA

Maggie Nolen, Staff Writer

The annual University of Georgia Model United Nations Conference (UGAMUNC) took place Feb. 15-16 in Athens, Ga. This conference is a favorite among Centennial students, and for some seniors, this was their last conference.

UGAMUNC is one of the more important conferences since it’s the last one until the international conference (NHSMUN) held at the UN headquarters in New York. Overall Centennial did very well, with eight/19 Centennial delegations winning some type of individual award. At UGAMUNC, there are four levels of awards: Best position paper, honorable mention, distinguished delegation, and outstanding delegation. Additionally, there are two overall awards for best small delegation and best large delegation.

Mehar Nemani and Grace Miller won honorable mention in DISEC (Disarmament and International Security Committee), Elliot Bell and Charlie McCartney won outstanding delegate in DISEC, Maya Orthous and Youssef Layous won distinguished delegation in SOCHUM (Social, Humanitarian, and Cultural Committee), Nick Morris and Ware Edmondson won honorable mention in SPECPOL(Special Political and Decolonization Suggest), Aman Puri and Jake Williams won distinguished delegation in SPECPOL, Holden Rohrer won Outstanding delegation in OIC (Organization of Islamic Cooperation), Elise Brinkmann won honorable mention in the Security Council, Radeen Dixon won outstanding delegate in the OAS(Organization of American States), and the Dominican Republic won the award for Best Large Delegation.

For some people, this was their first conference. Carley Chinn said, “This was my first Model UN conference, and overall, UGAMUNC was a great experience. You really get into the debate and exploring Athens is really fun during your breaks.”

Isabelle Hall, who attended UGAMUNC for the second time, said “ My favorite part about UGAMUNC was exploring Athens and finding new restaurants to try, as well as improving my speaking skills in committee.”

As a whole, Model UN is a great way to improve your public speaking skills, make new friends, and become more confident. For more information on the club, contact history teacher Macklin Hennessey.