Online Learning Kicking Your Butt?

Take a deep breath and tackle your work in chunks

Maggie Nolen, Staff Writer

Many students have had problems when it comes to online school. Even though the workload is supposedly lighter than usual school, some students are feeling overwhelmed with work and stress.

Madeline Singletary said, “I am honestly more stressed than I was before.” Although most teachers are being very helpful by setting up Google phone numbers, emailing students back quickly, and hosting Zoom conferences to talk and ask questions, some teachers are piling on hours of work on days that are supposed to be dedicated to other subjects.

Another challenge of online school is that it is fueling tendencies to procrastinate and be lazy with school work, since your teachers aren’t there to make sure you’re working. Brooklyn Oxley said, “I have found that online school becomes difficult when I let the work pile up. Getting a little bit of work from my different classes done every day helps greatly, so I am not panicking come Friday when everything is due.”

Online school and COVID-19, in general, are generating a lot of stress for people in AP classes or who still need to improve their ACT/SAT scores. The virus and the level of uncertainty are causing a lot of anxiety.

Here are some tips on how to stay productive and sane:

1. Try meditating or listening to calming music while doing homework. In this time of uncertainty, it’s important to make sure you are okay mentally and taking time to care for yourself.
  2. Focus on trying to just accomplish a few things every day. Don’t attempt to do all of your work in one day or just rush through it. Doing little parts every day and then having the rest of the day to relax is much healthier!
  3. Get outside! It’s spring and although parks and restaurants are closed, you can still go on a walk, get a nice tan, or maybe even start a garden.

Online learning is hard, but we have never had this kind of time on our hands before, so we might as well make the best of it.