Help Our Local Businesses

And - we have a list of places that are hiring

An image of the current fundraiser to help local coffee shop Cafe Au Lait!

Marjorie Hsu, Co-editor in Chief

After a couple of weeks staying home and self-isolating, there are times where we may feel helpless as we watch our local businesses struggle, people continuing to get laid off, and we stifled and bored by staying at home so long. However, besides staying home and taking the necessary safety precautions, you can help others by donating money to fundraisers, spreading the word of places that are hiring, or supporting local businesses.

Local coffee shop Cafe Au Lait currently has an ongoing GoFundMe fundraiser to help out the business. Due to slowed revenue from many staying at home (as we should), it had been difficult for local stores to upkeep their businesses. Places like Cafe Au Lait are great places many students, parents, and faculty go to visit to do school work or have a nice meal—breakfast and lunch. Some other local businesses you can help support are: China Heaven, My Frozen Yogurt, Circle Noodle, and more! You can help by ordering takeout for pickup or through delivery apps such as GrubHub or UberEats or contact and ask how you can best support them.

Unfortunately, many people have been laid off. If you or a friend or family member you know are looking for a job there are companies that are hiring both temporary, part-time, or full-time positions as they need more workers during the Covid-19 situation. Some of those companies include:

If you’re struggling with boredom or stress from staying home for so long there are some accessible resources for entertainment. Ever since many trips have gotten cancelled and people are quarantined in their homes, there are virtual tours to renowned landmarks or places that can be found here. In addition, many companies are trying to give back to the community or their workers from giving paid leave or temporary free access to some of their services. For example, Scribd which is an online reading subscription service is offering free access to their whole catalog for a whole month through libraries access. Cambridge University will also be offering, “offering free online access to higher education textbooks and coronavirus research during the Covid-19 outbreak.” There are also many other articles that highlight free or discounted sources of entertainment.

Finally, if you don’t have a subscription to a streaming service such as Netflix or Hulu, Youtube has a whole list of free movies