Infinity Mirrors delight CHS students

Marjorie Hsu, Staff Writer

Octavia Wingate (left), Fiona Walker (middle), Sydney Koele (right) looking as if they are at the edge of a galaxy!  Photo Credit – Fiona Walker

43 Centennial art students got the chance to attend a limited art exhibition at the High Museum of the famous Japanese artist, Yayoi Kusama. The jewel of the show has centered on her works called Infinity Mirrors, where an endless expanse of her work appears to stretch out in a descending illusion through multiple mirrors. Her works are so highly desired to be seen that advance tickets to her show sold out in November.

The room that represented Kusama’s vision of the fragility of life titled “Aftermath of Obliteration of Eternity.” Photo Credit – Bella Martina

The traveling exhibit is only showing in 5 places in North America with the High Museum being the last until Feb. 17. People can still have a chance to attend, as the High will be setting only 100 available tickets a day that can only be purchased by physically being there. Prices are $29 [for ages 6 and up.] The email subscription to the High has also informed readers that tickets from Feb. 11 to 17 will go on sale on the High Museum website on Feb 5. at 5 am.

Fiona Walker and Sydney Koele walking in with one of the biggest sculptures in an Infinity Room. Photo Credit – Fiona Walker

Though the artwork appears to stretch endlessly, it’s actually a small room in a white box-like shape on the outside where only two to three people can enter from 20 to 30 seconds depending on which room. Most of the time you can photograph the beautiful view, except for the pumpkin room. (This was based off of visiting the showcase at the High, permission to photograph could’ve differed in different places.) In addition, depending on the room a worker would have to enter with you. For those that attend the show are encouraged to post pictures on social media with the hashtag of #InfinityKusama.

Centennial art students: Emma Loi, Bella Martina, and Madalyn Hover in the last room where you’re given stickers to stick on any part of the room! Photo Credit – Helpful Stranger

The octagonal room where you cannot enter, but enjoy the light show. Photo Credit – Bella Martina

More Centennial art students enjoy taking selfies, but particularly in the room where it is the recreation of one of the first Infinity Mirrors Kusama made. Photo Credit – Isabel Roberts

Her art style has always focused on polka-dots since she was young and continued to grow from the mental illnesses she draws inspiration from. Being in a mental hospital since 1977, she checks herself out and in of the medical institution everyday to make art. She has also described that painting is a self-release as when she’s not she said, “When I am not working, my thoughts can turn very dark.

In spite of Kusama’s detailed polka-dotted work to be often darkly inspired, she stands to be one of the many influential artists of the 20th century that partook in anti-war, and feminist movements. Going through WWII and working in a parachute factory highly influenced her political standpoint. On an interview with The Guardian when asked “If you could bring something extinct back to life, what would you choose?” She replied,

I don’t know if I want to bring something back, but I would like to see nuclear weapons become extinct in my lifetime.”

Interestingly, Kusama has done such various artworks as a fine artist that she’s not explicitly classified as an artist in one distinct category, which could be one of the reasons why she was beginning to fade from history. However, she has always leaned towards contemporary art with her continuous love for pumpkins, bright colors, and polkadots.